Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Proud to be an American!

Two posts in one day!!!
Well I always enjoy telling people that I have an Egyptian brother-in-law, but now he is an American! Mohamed filled out his papers (which were many and took hours), paid his fees (not cheap!), and passed the test (he studied a lot and probably knows more than most people born in America). So today he went to the Federal Courthouse in KC, MO and took his Oath of Citizenship. As a 4th grade teacher I was so excited to go and see this process so that I could tell my students about it. So I trekked downtown excitedly carrying my video camera and digital camera (which Mohamed kept making fun of me for). It was such a great experience and really made me feel so proud to live in a country that accepts people from all over the world, giving them freedom they may not have had before. There were 60 people from 28 different countries that became citizens during this ceremony! I know that our country isn't perfect, but it is a place that gives so many opportunities to so many people that may not have ever had them!
Mohamed has told me how grateful he is to become an American citizen because he feels this country has given him so much. He even got registered to vote today and is excited to be able to be part of such an exciting election year!
Below is a picture of the courtroom and a picture of Mohamed with his mom and certificate of citizenship.


3 comments:

Cindy Feuz said...

Wow that is a wonderful accomplishment, tell Mohammad congratulations for me. That makes me want to cry, very touching. I don't know could be my hormones.
That is really exciting!

Anonymous said...

Heather that is so amazing. i am so glad all is going well with you. i want to see more pictures of you and your family. How is your mom? it has been so long. We moved to utah 4 years ago and have only been back 2 times. so i feel disconnected. You have really cute kids. Keep in touch. My blog is wyndamreevefamily.blogspot.com

K'Lyn said...

That is really neat! There are so many things I want to learn about this country. Hey, you know that workout dance thing we would do in our apt? Do you remember what it was called?